Ban on gutka in Delhi comes into effect
New Delhi: A blanket ban on manufacturing, sale, storage and display of all gutka products in the national capital came into effect from Thursday.
The ban also includes pan masalas and similar products containing nicotine and tobacco.
The Delhi government had yesterday issued a notification to enforce the ban. The government on Monday had decided to impose the ban as gutka products are health hazard.
States like Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Kerala, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar have already announced ban on gutka products. A similar comprehensive ban came into effect in Gujarat yesterday.
Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said ban will be implemented by the Department of Prevention of Food Adulteration and strict action will be taken against the offenders as per provision of Food Safety and Standards Act.
Officials said violators of the ban may face a maximum jail term of six months and a penalty of Rs 2 lakh.
Finance Department officials said government may incur an annual revenue loss of around Rs 40 crore due to the ban.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark