Ban on gutka in Delhi comes into effect
New Delhi: A blanket ban on manufacturing, sale, storage and display of all gutka products in the national capital came into effect from Thursday.
The ban also includes pan masalas and similar products containing nicotine and tobacco.
The Delhi government had yesterday issued a notification to enforce the ban. The government on Monday had decided to impose the ban as gutka products are health hazard.
States like Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Kerala, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar have already announced ban on gutka products. A similar comprehensive ban came into effect in Gujarat yesterday.
Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said ban will be implemented by the Department of Prevention of Food Adulteration and strict action will be taken against the offenders as per provision of Food Safety and Standards Act.
Officials said violators of the ban may face a maximum jail term of six months and a penalty of Rs 2 lakh.
Finance Department officials said government may incur an annual revenue loss of around Rs 40 crore due to the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion