Ban on gutka in Delhi comes into effect
New Delhi: A blanket ban on manufacturing, sale, storage and display of all gutka products in the national capital came into effect from Thursday.
The ban also includes pan masalas and similar products containing nicotine and tobacco.
The Delhi government had yesterday issued a notification to enforce the ban. The government on Monday had decided to impose the ban as gutka products are health hazard.
States like Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Kerala, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar have already announced ban on gutka products. A similar comprehensive ban came into effect in Gujarat yesterday.
Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said ban will be implemented by the Department of Prevention of Food Adulteration and strict action will be taken against the offenders as per provision of Food Safety and Standards Act.
Officials said violators of the ban may face a maximum jail term of six months and a penalty of Rs 2 lakh.
Finance Department officials said government may incur an annual revenue loss of around Rs 40 crore due to the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog