Bar Association of India condemn attack on Bhushan
New Delhi: Condemning the attack on activist
lawyer Prashant Bhushan last evening, the Bar Association of
India (BAI) on Thursday called for stern legal action against the
assailants and the organisations they represent.
"The BAI urges the authorities to take stern action
against the miscreants and the organisation they represent
within the parameters and due process of law," BAI president
and senior advocate Anil B Divan said in a statement.
Terming the attack as one on legal profession, the BAI
also called for effective security in and around court
complexes to protect judges and lawyers.
"The Bar Association of India is appalled at and strongly
condemns the attack on advocate Prashant Bhushan in his
chambers opposite the Supreme Court - our temple of justice.
"To prevent such future acts, the BAI calls upon
authorities in consultation with the Bar to put in place a
credible and effective security mechanism particularly in
court complexes and adjacent areas to protect lawyers and
judges... Every Indian citizen and every human being is
entitled to express his views without being intimidated in any
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore