Barrier-rod falls on car, expressway toll plaza to pay 10k
New Delhi: The Delhi-Gurgaon expressway toll plaza has been ordered by a consumer forum here to pay Rs 10,000 as compensation to a commuter for damage to his car due to accidental fall of a barrier on it at the toll gate.
The mishap had occurred at Delhi-Gurgaon Super Connectivity Ltd (DGSCL)-run toll plaza, which has been asked to pay the sum to East Delhi resident Abhinav Sharma by New Delhi District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum.
Rejecting the toll plaza`s contention that the commuter hit the barrier, the bench presided by C K Chaturvedi said he could not have hit the barrier if it was blocking the path.
"The documents filed by opposite party (toll plaza), the copy of complaint made by complainant (Sharma) at the spot after falling of boom barrier, are facts which leave no doubt about the incident. It is not explained how the barrier came down again, within two seconds of earlier vehicle leaving the toll gate. Surely complainant did not hit the boom when it was acting as barrier in horizontal position," said the forum.
"We hold opposite party deficient in service at toll gate. We award a sum of Rs 7,500 to complainant towards damage and harassment and Rs 2,500 as litigation expenses," it added.
Sharma in his complaint had alleged that on May 19, 2010 evening, during his return from Gurgaon, the barrier rod fell on his car`s roof when he was crossing the gate after paying the fee of Rs 20.
After the mishap, he said, the booth personnel behaved rudely with him while plaza authorities later assured him of compensation but did not keep their promises.
The plaza authorities in their defence had contended that he did not maintain proper distance from the vehicle ahead of him and had just rushed forward within two seconds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert