Batla House encounter: Accused claims he never confessed
New Delhi: The lone alleged Indian Mujahideen militant facing trial in the 2008 Batla House encounter case here has pleaded innocence before a Delhi court while refuting police`s claim that he had confessed to his role.
"I am innocent and have been falsely implicated in this case," said Shazad Ahmed while recording his statement before Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri.
Shazad is said to be one of the occupants of the flat in Jamia Nagar where the encounter took place on September 19, 2008 between officers of the Special Cell of Delhi Police and the alleged IM terrorists said to be involved in the September 13, 2008 serial blasts.
Shahzad in his statement denied he was in the flat in Batla House with other associates or had fired at the raiding party including inspector M C Sharma.
He also denied having given any disclosure statement to the police in custody and said, "It is incorrect. I never made any disclosure statement. My signatures were obtained forcibly and same were fabricated by the police."
He also said, "I was picked up by officers of ATS Lucknow from my house (in Azamgarh). A complaint in regard of kidnapping was also lodged."
The claim was, however, refuted by a UP police official called by him as defence witness.
Shahzad also claimed it to be incorrect that he was later identified as one of the occupants of the flat in Batla House by the members of the raiding party which had gone there.
When asked as to why prosecution witnesses have deposed against him, Shahzad said, "They are interested witnesses and have falsely deposed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir