Batla House encounter: HC notice to Delhi Police
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday sought the response of police on an appeal filed by Shahzad Ahmed against his conviction in the 2008 Batla House encounter case for killing decorated police officer Inspector MC Sharma and injuring two other cops.
Shahzad, 25, was awarded life imprisonment on July 30 by a sessions court for killing the police officer in the September 19, 2008 encounter when a team of Delhi Police Special Cell raided the Batla House flat in Jamia Nagar on a tip-off that terrorists involved in the September 13, 2008 serial blasts in the city were holed up there.
A bench of justices Kailash Gambhir and Indermeet Kaur issued notice to Delhi Police and sought its response by November 11 on Shahzad`s appeal against his conviction and also on his plea for bail.
"Appeal is admitted. Notice issued to Delhi Police and reply to be filed by next date of hearing," the bench said.
The court also summoned trial court`s record pertaining to the case.
The trial court had on July 25 held Shahzad guilty on charges of murder, attempting to cause death and various other provisions of the IPC and the Arms Act.
The court had also found him guilty of assaulting police officers and obstructing them from doing their duty.
While awarding him life term, the court had noted that death of Sharma had shocked the collective conscience of the entire nation.
He was also slapped with a fine of Rs 95,000 of which Rs 40,000 was to be given to Sharma`s family and 20,000 to Head Constable Balwant Singh, who was injured in the encounter.
Shahzad is also among the 13 suspected terrorists facing trial in the 2008 serial blasts case. The multiple blasts had left 26 dead and 133 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’