Batla House encounter: Suspected IM operative Shahzad Ahmad held guilty
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Nearly five years after the Batla House encounter that killed Delhi Police Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma, a session court on Thursday found the lone accused in the case, Shahzad Ahmad, guilty of killing the brave police officer.
Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri found Shehzad Ahmad guilty of murder, attempted murder and obstructing a public servant from carrying out his duties.
The court will pronounce order on sentence on July 29. Ahmad`s counsel said that they will fight the verdict in the high court.
During the trial, two defence witnesses and 70 prosecution witnesses were examined by the court.
Shahzad Ahmad, reportedly a member of the Indian Mujahideen, was one of the occupants of the flat in Jamia Nagar, and was among those who had fired at the police party on September 19, 2008, leading to the death of Inspector Sharma.
Ahmad, along with another accused Junaid, had allegedly jumped off the balcony and fled after firing at the police party.
Besides Ahmad, other accused named in the charge sheet are Mohd Saif, Mohd Atif Ameen alias Bashir and Mohd Sajid. While Saif had surrendered, the other two were shot dead in the shootout.
The prosecution had contended that it had "sufficient circumstantial evidence" and phone records to prove that accused Ahmad was present in the Jamia Nagar flat in Batla House.
Ahmad`s counsel had claimed that he was not present in the flat in which the alleged shootout between officers of the Special Cell of Delhi Police and the alleged IM terrorists took place.
Sharma, who had won seven gallantry medals, including a President`s Medal, was gunned down during the Batla House encounter at Jamia Nagar on September 19, 2008, seven days after serial blasts rocked the national capital. It was suspected that members of the Indian Mujahideen (IM) were hiding in a house in the area.
The IM operatives are said to be involved in the September 13, 2008 serial blasts at Karol Bagh, Connaught Place, Greater Kailash and India Gate which left 26 dead and 133 injured.
The shootout had sparked controversy when Congress leader Digvijaya Singh claimed it to be fake, but his party distanced itself from his remarks. The then home minister P Chidambaram asserted that the encounter was genuine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence