Battered baby Falak still critical
New Delhi: Battling for life for the past 26
days at AIIMS, the battered two-year-old baby Falak on Sunday
showed no signs of improvement despite the infection level in
her blood and chest coming down.
Doctors attending on her at AIIMS Trauma Centre said she
remains critical but stable and needs ventilator support.
"She cannot breathe on her own. She has been critical for
over three weeks but stable and needs ventilator support.
This is not a good sign. She should not get used to it and
that is why when not needed and she can breathe on her own, we
put her off the ventilator. Even if it is for a few hours.
Being put on and off the ventilator will continue till she
shows signs of significant improvement," neurosurgeon Deepak
Agarwal, who has been attending on her, said.
Baby Falak was brought to the hospital on January 18 with
severe head injury, both her arms broken, bite marks all over
her body and her cheeks branded with hot iron.
She underwent a life saving surgery of the brain
immediately after her admission here. Later on, this was
followed by two more surgeries. Doctors even conducted a
tracheotomy on her.
Dr Agarwal said, "Infection in her brain still continues
to exist. Surgeries can be conducted again only after this
brain infection subsides. She has undergone two surgeries in
the brain in the past and no portion of her brain was removed
while conducting the surgery."
The forensic department has conducted a DNA test to help
determine her paternity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened