`Bawana plant delayed due to Delhi govt`s laxity`
New Delhi: Delhi`s Bawana power plant project, intended to augment the power supply for the Commonwealth Games (CWG), was delayed due to the government`s laxity, a report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said, among other deficiencies it identified in the power sector for the event.
According to the audit report, a power plant was proposed by Delhi government in Bawana before the Games, on the grounds of augmenting power generation during CWG.
The Bawana power plant which was to come up by October 2010, was delayed by eight months, despite an expenditure of Rs 2,330 crore.
The CAG report also gives the reasons for the delay of the power plant.
"Pragati Power Company Ltd put a proposal for the project in 2003 but the cabinet of Delhi government had approved the setting up of 1000 mw power plant in Bawana only in November 2006," the audit report states.
The report indicates that Delhi government had taken three years to decide whether the project should be government funded, private or a public-private partnership.
Apart from this, the report pointed that most of the power sector projects were not completed before the Games.
"The Delhi Transco Ltd (DTL), which was carrying power transmission projects, had given reasons like non-availability of land and permission for cutting trees from the forest department, unprecedented rains, traffic permissions," the report stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections