BJP pips Cong in South Delhi MCD polls
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) marched ahead of the Congress party on Tuesday to retain control of the newly carved civic body in South Delhi.
In South Delhi Corporation, of the 104 wards, BJP has won 44 and Congress has bagged 30. Five seats went to BSP’s kitty. Surprisingly, smaller parties and independents won as many as 26 seats.
Among prominent candidates who have won the election in their respective wards are: Dharmveer (Cong) from RK Puram, Radhey Shyam (BJP) from Vasant Vihar.
Out of a total of 1.12 crore eligible voters registered in the three newly-carved Municipal Corporations in Delhi, nearly 42.67 lakh voters exercised their franchise on Sunday hoping for a change in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
South had the highest number of 904 candidates followed by North (885) and East (634).
The south Delhi Corporation registered the lowest turnout. As per available statistics, people in rural areas came out in large numbers compared to those in urban localities.
In the recently trifurcated civic body, there are 104 wards each in South and North corporations and 64 in the east, 138 seats are reserved for women. South Delhi has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by north (885) and east (634).
The BJP, which had 164 Councillors in the undivided MCD against Congress` 67 and Bahujan Samaj Party`s (BSP) 17, had highlighted issues of corruption and price rise by the Delhi government led by Sheila Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America