BJP pips Cong in South Delhi MCD polls
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) marched ahead of the Congress party on Tuesday to retain control of the newly carved civic body in South Delhi.
In South Delhi Corporation, of the 104 wards, BJP has won 44 and Congress has bagged 30. Five seats went to BSP’s kitty. Surprisingly, smaller parties and independents won as many as 26 seats.
Among prominent candidates who have won the election in their respective wards are: Dharmveer (Cong) from RK Puram, Radhey Shyam (BJP) from Vasant Vihar.
Out of a total of 1.12 crore eligible voters registered in the three newly-carved Municipal Corporations in Delhi, nearly 42.67 lakh voters exercised their franchise on Sunday hoping for a change in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
South had the highest number of 904 candidates followed by North (885) and East (634).
The south Delhi Corporation registered the lowest turnout. As per available statistics, people in rural areas came out in large numbers compared to those in urban localities.
In the recently trifurcated civic body, there are 104 wards each in South and North corporations and 64 in the east, 138 seats are reserved for women. South Delhi has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by north (885) and east (634).
The BJP, which had 164 Councillors in the undivided MCD against Congress` 67 and Bahujan Samaj Party`s (BSP) 17, had highlighted issues of corruption and price rise by the Delhi government led by Sheila Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars