BJP pips Cong in South Delhi MCD polls
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) marched ahead of the Congress party on Tuesday to retain control of the newly carved civic body in South Delhi.
In South Delhi Corporation, of the 104 wards, BJP has won 44 and Congress has bagged 30. Five seats went to BSP’s kitty. Surprisingly, smaller parties and independents won as many as 26 seats.
Among prominent candidates who have won the election in their respective wards are: Dharmveer (Cong) from RK Puram, Radhey Shyam (BJP) from Vasant Vihar.
Out of a total of 1.12 crore eligible voters registered in the three newly-carved Municipal Corporations in Delhi, nearly 42.67 lakh voters exercised their franchise on Sunday hoping for a change in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
South had the highest number of 904 candidates followed by North (885) and East (634).
The south Delhi Corporation registered the lowest turnout. As per available statistics, people in rural areas came out in large numbers compared to those in urban localities.
In the recently trifurcated civic body, there are 104 wards each in South and North corporations and 64 in the east, 138 seats are reserved for women. South Delhi has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by north (885) and east (634).
The BJP, which had 164 Councillors in the undivided MCD against Congress` 67 and Bahujan Samaj Party`s (BSP) 17, had highlighted issues of corruption and price rise by the Delhi government led by Sheila Dikshit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'