BJP pips Cong in South Delhi MCD polls
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) marched ahead of the Congress party on Tuesday to retain control of the newly carved civic body in South Delhi.
In South Delhi Corporation, of the 104 wards, BJP has won 44 and Congress has bagged 30. Five seats went to BSP’s kitty. Surprisingly, smaller parties and independents won as many as 26 seats.
Among prominent candidates who have won the election in their respective wards are: Dharmveer (Cong) from RK Puram, Radhey Shyam (BJP) from Vasant Vihar.
Out of a total of 1.12 crore eligible voters registered in the three newly-carved Municipal Corporations in Delhi, nearly 42.67 lakh voters exercised their franchise on Sunday hoping for a change in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
South had the highest number of 904 candidates followed by North (885) and East (634).
The south Delhi Corporation registered the lowest turnout. As per available statistics, people in rural areas came out in large numbers compared to those in urban localities.
In the recently trifurcated civic body, there are 104 wards each in South and North corporations and 64 in the east, 138 seats are reserved for women. South Delhi has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by north (885) and east (634).
The BJP, which had 164 Councillors in the undivided MCD against Congress` 67 and Bahujan Samaj Party`s (BSP) 17, had highlighted issues of corruption and price rise by the Delhi government led by Sheila Dikshit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?