BCI bribery case: CBI judge held hostage by lawyers
New Delhi: A special CBI judge, hearing a
bribery case against a member of Bar Council of India, was
allegedly held hostage inside his court by a group of unruly
lawyers for over an hour here.
Official sources said judge OP Saini was also
verbally abused by some 40-50 lawyers, who had gathered in the
Patiala House courts in support of the accused who was
allegedly caught while taking bribe for granting affiliation
to a law college in Ghaziabad.
The incident happened on December 23 when Saini
dismissed the bail plea of BCI member Rajendra Singh Rana, who
was arrested by the CBI three days earlier.
Upset over denial of bail to Rana, the lawyers led by
some senior advocates kept the judge confined to his room and
raised slogans besides hurling abuses.
They even tried to attack and manhandle CBI officials
present there, the sources said.
Noticing the situation, some of the officials called
the Registrar General of Delhi High Court after which
additional police personnel were rushed to the courts, they
The judge had rejected Rana`s bail plea saying that "the
probe is at its initial stage".
The CBI had on December 20 arrested Rana along with
Manish Tyagi, one of the members of the advisory body of the
Global Law College, Ghaziabad.
A mob of 30-40 persons led by president of a bar
association, had at that time allegedly "manhandled" a team of
agency sleuths at Rana`s residence and snatched away the
seized documents and cash, the CBI had said. It had filed an
FIR with Maurya Enclave police station against three people
Rana was allegedly taking bribe of Rs 1 lakh from
Tyagi for giving a favourable inspection report of the
The agency had also raided seven places in and around
Delhi, including Rana`s office and the college premises.
The CBI had said it had been monitoring Rana`s
telephone calls and had swooped on his Pitampura residence in
north Delhi on December 20 evening when another advocate had
arrived there with the file of the law college.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?