Bhullar`s family should be allowed to meet him: NHRC
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission on Wednesday "strongly" recommended to the government to allow close relatives of Khalistani terrorist Devenderpal Singh Bhullar, who is on the death row, to meet him.
Bhullar, whose plea for commutation of death sentence to life imprisonment for his involvement in the 1993 bomb blast outside Youth Congress office here was rejected by the Supreme Court, is presently under treatment for depression at IBHAAS here.
The NHRC recommendation came after a delegation and Bhullar`s wife Navneet Kaur met Chairperson Justice KG Balakrishnan and other members on the issue of his execution.
"The Commission has strongly recommended that the close relatives of the prisoner be given an opportunity to meet him. The Commission`s recommendations have been sent to the Union Home Ministry," a statement said.
The NHRC sources said leaders of Akali Dal along with the wife had sought an appointment with the Chairperson, who later decided that the Full Commission will give an audience to the delegation.
Sources also said the NHRC recommendation came against the backdrop of complaints that Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru was executed without allowing his family members to meet him for a last time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi