Bhullar`s family should be allowed to meet him: NHRC
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission on Wednesday "strongly" recommended to the government to allow close relatives of Khalistani terrorist Devenderpal Singh Bhullar, who is on the death row, to meet him.
Bhullar, whose plea for commutation of death sentence to life imprisonment for his involvement in the 1993 bomb blast outside Youth Congress office here was rejected by the Supreme Court, is presently under treatment for depression at IBHAAS here.
The NHRC recommendation came after a delegation and Bhullar`s wife Navneet Kaur met Chairperson Justice KG Balakrishnan and other members on the issue of his execution.
"The Commission has strongly recommended that the close relatives of the prisoner be given an opportunity to meet him. The Commission`s recommendations have been sent to the Union Home Ministry," a statement said.
The NHRC sources said leaders of Akali Dal along with the wife had sought an appointment with the Chairperson, who later decided that the Full Commission will give an audience to the delegation.
Sources also said the NHRC recommendation came against the backdrop of complaints that Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru was executed without allowing his family members to meet him for a last time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what