Bikers, pedestrians most unsafe on Delhi roads
New Delhi: Motorcyclists and pedestrians appear to be most unsafe on Delhi roads with a new government report showing that a majority of those killed in road accidents were either bikers or those who were on foot.
According to the `Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India 2011` report, 642 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents followed by 603 pedestrians last year out of a total of 2,107 deaths.
The highest cases of road accidents among 53 metro cities were reported in Chennai (9,845) which resulted in 7,898 injuries and 1,399 deaths.
Delhi followed Chennai with 6,065 cases and Bengaluru (6,031).
In Delhi, 141 deaths were caused by trucks and lorry while 92 were due to buses and 89 by tempos and vans.
Jeeps accounted for 19 deaths while 186 were caused by cars.
Under unnatural accidents, the report said Delhi has experienced maximum damage (68 cases) by `collapse of structure` which accounted for 40.8 per cent and 12. 1 per cent injuries and deaths respectively among 53 mega cities.
Delhi city among 53 mega cities has reported the highest number of deaths by causes attributable to Nature (38.8 per cent) followed by Bengaluru (34.8 per cent).
Among 53 mega cities, Bengaluru (1,717), Chennai (2,438), Delhi (1,385) and Mumbai (1,162) together have reported almost 36.7 per cent of the total suicides reported from mega 53 cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you