BJP accuses Delhi govt of creating food insecurity
New Delhi: Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel on Sunday accused the Sheila Dikshit government of adding to the food related woes of the people through poor implementation of its food security schemes.
Addressing a public rally as part of his `Gaon-Gaon Sampark Yatra`, Goel said poor people had been hit the hardest as the application forms and food grains meant for them under the food security scheme were being sold in black by touts.
He also alleged that there is a lack of clarity regarding eligibility criteria for availing rations.
"The poor families are not getting forms for the food security scheme, forms are being sold in black ranging from Rs 50 to Rs 200 each. Touts are having a field day... The new food security scheme has thus hit the poor the hardest. They are left at the mercy of officials even as food grains meant for them is being swindled and sold in open market.
"There is complete confusion and chaos about eligibility criteria for getting rations now-whether it is smart card, aadhar card or ration card. A number of people are also complaining of extremely poor quality of food grains. On top of it the prices of tomatoes have also now shot up to Rs 60/kg along with onions which are being sold at Rs 80-100/kg," he said in a release here.
Goel, while visiting several villages in Delhi, alleged that under the Delhi government`s food security scheme a poor family is allocated only five kilograms of food grains per person in contrast to the earlier PDS schemes under which 35 kgs were allocated to each family.
He also alleged that the city government has made a "complete mess" of the food security measures for the poor, as there are not enough officials in Food and Civil Supplies Department or fair price shops to implement the schemes.
Goel also accused the Congress government of having neglected over 300 villages in Delhi during the past 15 years and assured the people of these villages that BJP would take care of their interests if it comes to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly