BJP accuses govt of allowing disruption of RS
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday accused the government of allowing disruption of the Rajya Sabha proceedings as it is "unsure of its figures" in the House.
"Government is unsure of its figures in the Upper House. Both the government and its allies including those outside supporters are disrupting the House every day," BJP leader Arun Jaitley told reporters outside Parliament.
Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day after disruptions over quota in promotion for SC/ST in government.
"No Opposition members are disrupting the House. Nobody from the Opposition has gone into the well of the House. We are waiting every morning so that scheduled business can come in. It is the government members and those supporting the government, who disturb the House. This has happened for the last few days and whole country has seen it," he said.
Suspecting government intention to run the House, Jaitley said, "I have a lurking suspicion that the government is unsure of which way the Rajya Sabha will vote and that is why it has no serious intention to allow Rajya Sabha to conduct its business."
Seeking a response from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue, he said, "We have requested the chairman of the Rajya Sabha to call the Leader of the House that is the PM, asking him to make a candid statement whether the government wants the Rajya Sabha to conduct its business or not. Because you can`t have day after day the government disturbing the Parliament."
Jaitley, who is also the Opposition leader in the Upper House, further said, "Rajya Sabha is not functioning due to the government`s attitude. Rajya Sabha schedules are prepared and we are ready for discussion as per the schedule. But despite this Rajya Sabha is disrupted due to the government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow