BJP accuses govt of allowing disruption of RS
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday accused the government of allowing disruption of the Rajya Sabha proceedings as it is "unsure of its figures" in the House.
"Government is unsure of its figures in the Upper House. Both the government and its allies including those outside supporters are disrupting the House every day," BJP leader Arun Jaitley told reporters outside Parliament.
Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day after disruptions over quota in promotion for SC/ST in government.
"No Opposition members are disrupting the House. Nobody from the Opposition has gone into the well of the House. We are waiting every morning so that scheduled business can come in. It is the government members and those supporting the government, who disturb the House. This has happened for the last few days and whole country has seen it," he said.
Suspecting government intention to run the House, Jaitley said, "I have a lurking suspicion that the government is unsure of which way the Rajya Sabha will vote and that is why it has no serious intention to allow Rajya Sabha to conduct its business."
Seeking a response from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the issue, he said, "We have requested the chairman of the Rajya Sabha to call the Leader of the House that is the PM, asking him to make a candid statement whether the government wants the Rajya Sabha to conduct its business or not. Because you can`t have day after day the government disturbing the Parliament."
Jaitley, who is also the Opposition leader in the Upper House, further said, "Rajya Sabha is not functioning due to the government`s attitude. Rajya Sabha schedules are prepared and we are ready for discussion as per the schedule. But despite this Rajya Sabha is disrupted due to the government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more