BJP announces candidates for MCD polls on last day
New Delhi: Amid much haggling for tickets,
the BJP announced its 272 candidates for the municipal polls
on the last day of filing nominations on Monday omitting several
Though Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta, presently a
councillor, opted out of the contest after his ward was
reserved for women, he managed to get a seat for his wife
Shobha Vijender, who was embroiled in a controversy over
alleged irregularities in her NGO Sampoorna.
A section of party workers were opposed to giving ticket
Among those who were not given tickets were former Mayors
Arti Mehra and Prithvi Raj Swahney and prominent BJP
councillors like Jagdish Mamgain and VK Monga.
Delhi Mayor Rajni Abbi has been fielded from a general
seat Mukherjee Nagar. A total of 139 women were fielded by BJP
as against Congress` over 140.
The list also has five Muslims as candidates in wards
Jama Masjid, Minto Road, Turkman Gate, Qasabpura (Women) and
The ticket distribution process was marred by protests and
party workers even heckled some leaders.
A senior Delhi BJP leader, a councillor who did not
figure in the list, alleged favouritism.
"Gupta managed to get ticket for his wife. Many members
of the election committee were freshers in the panel and did
not have the experience for this job. Even Gupta got into the
committee for the first time," the leader alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India