BJP asks Centre to clarify stand on reports about Brahmaputra
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday asked the government to clarify its stand on reports about China constructing three dams on the Brahmaputra river in Tibet and "honestly" take the nation and opposition parties in confidence over the issue.
"We want government should clarify its stand. When the issue was raised earlier, government had said there is nothing of the kind happening. We expect government of India should honestly take the nation and opposition in confidence and come out with the real situation," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He was responding to reports regarding China approving construction of three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet in addition to the one being built.
A document approved by the Chinese cabinet recently mentioned three dams to be built at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu on Brahmaputra, according to Indian officials in Beijing.
The document listing projects to be completed in China`s 12th five year plan made a passing reference to the three dams without any details, they said, adding that India has not been informed about the move so far.
India today asked China to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas. The government has conveyed its "views and concerns" to the Chinese authorities, including those at the highest levels, an MEA spokesperson said.
Defence Minister A K Antony also said, "We have not yet received the factual position. So, my reaction at this time would be premature. We will wait for the details and then the government will take a considered view."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest