BJP asks Centre to clarify stand on reports about Brahmaputra
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday asked the government to clarify its stand on reports about China constructing three dams on the Brahmaputra river in Tibet and "honestly" take the nation and opposition parties in confidence over the issue.
"We want government should clarify its stand. When the issue was raised earlier, government had said there is nothing of the kind happening. We expect government of India should honestly take the nation and opposition in confidence and come out with the real situation," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He was responding to reports regarding China approving construction of three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet in addition to the one being built.
A document approved by the Chinese cabinet recently mentioned three dams to be built at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu on Brahmaputra, according to Indian officials in Beijing.
The document listing projects to be completed in China`s 12th five year plan made a passing reference to the three dams without any details, they said, adding that India has not been informed about the move so far.
India today asked China to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas. The government has conveyed its "views and concerns" to the Chinese authorities, including those at the highest levels, an MEA spokesperson said.
Defence Minister A K Antony also said, "We have not yet received the factual position. So, my reaction at this time would be premature. We will wait for the details and then the government will take a considered view."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan