BJP asks Centre to clarify stand on reports about Brahmaputra
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday asked the government to clarify its stand on reports about China constructing three dams on the Brahmaputra river in Tibet and "honestly" take the nation and opposition parties in confidence over the issue.
"We want government should clarify its stand. When the issue was raised earlier, government had said there is nothing of the kind happening. We expect government of India should honestly take the nation and opposition in confidence and come out with the real situation," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He was responding to reports regarding China approving construction of three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet in addition to the one being built.
A document approved by the Chinese cabinet recently mentioned three dams to be built at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu on Brahmaputra, according to Indian officials in Beijing.
The document listing projects to be completed in China`s 12th five year plan made a passing reference to the three dams without any details, they said, adding that India has not been informed about the move so far.
India today asked China to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas. The government has conveyed its "views and concerns" to the Chinese authorities, including those at the highest levels, an MEA spokesperson said.
Defence Minister A K Antony also said, "We have not yet received the factual position. So, my reaction at this time would be premature. We will wait for the details and then the government will take a considered view."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees