BJP asks Centre to clarify stand on reports about Brahmaputra
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday asked the government to clarify its stand on reports about China constructing three dams on the Brahmaputra river in Tibet and "honestly" take the nation and opposition parties in confidence over the issue.
"We want government should clarify its stand. When the issue was raised earlier, government had said there is nothing of the kind happening. We expect government of India should honestly take the nation and opposition in confidence and come out with the real situation," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He was responding to reports regarding China approving construction of three more dams on Brahmaputra river in Tibet in addition to the one being built.
A document approved by the Chinese cabinet recently mentioned three dams to be built at Dagu, Jiacha and Jiexu on Brahmaputra, according to Indian officials in Beijing.
The document listing projects to be completed in China`s 12th five year plan made a passing reference to the three dams without any details, they said, adding that India has not been informed about the move so far.
India today asked China to ensure that the interests of downstream states are not harmed by any activities in upstream areas. The government has conveyed its "views and concerns" to the Chinese authorities, including those at the highest levels, an MEA spokesperson said.
Defence Minister A K Antony also said, "We have not yet received the factual position. So, my reaction at this time would be premature. We will wait for the details and then the government will take a considered view."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA