BJP asks Delhi govt to declare holiday on Chhat
New Delhi: BJP Thursday renewed its demand to Delhi Government to declare November 19 as public holiday on the occasion of Chhat Puja in an effort to woo around 40 lakh Poorvanchali people who can play a crucial role in next year`s assembly elections.
"The Delhi Government should declare public holiday on November 19 on the occasion of Chhath Puja respecting the sentiments of 40 lakh Poorvanchali people living in the city," Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta said.
The Delhi BJP had made a similar demand last year but Delhi Government had turned it down.
With assembly polls slated for November next year, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had yesterday met a number of prominent Poorvanchali leaders and promised to come out with a long-term plan for improving facilities for Chhat Puja celebration.
Addressing a press conference, Gupta today demanded better facilities at Chhath Ghats in the city so that people celebrating the festival do not face any inconvenience.
Expressing unhappiness over the arrangements made by the government, Gupta demanded medical facilities, putting up of tents and toilets and deployment of disaster management teams in all Chhath ghats along the Yamuna.
Devotees flock to various ghats along the Yamuna to offer prayers to the Sun on Chhat Puja, which is celebrated in Delhi by people from Eastern Uttar Pradesh and Bihar who are referred as Poorvanchali.
This year`s Chhat Puja will be celebrated on November 18 and 19.
Gupta also demanded separate transport services for the devotees so that they can visit the Chhath Ghats without any hassle. He said BJP will depute around 10,000 volunteers for helping the devotees at various Chhath Ghats.
The Delhi BJP president said all the three party-ruled municipal corporations have been told to ensure proper cleanliness at the Chhath Ghats.
The Delhi government has already issued instruction to concerned agencies to make adequate facilities at important ghats along the Yamuna. Officials said tents will be erected near the ghats for convenience of the pilgrims.
They said Delhi Police has been told to install CCTV cameras at the ghats in order to provide fool-proof security. Revenue department will bear the cost of installation of CCTVs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared