BJP asks MLAs, councillors to sell onion at affordable prices
New Delhi: With soaring onion prices, Delhi BJP on Wednesday accused the Delhi government of "total failure" in containing the rates of the kitchen staple and asked its MLAs and councillors to put up stalls to provide it to the people at affordable prices.
Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel asked party MLAs and councillors to provide onions to the common man at reasonable rates.
The party had opened stalls at a number of places last month and sold onions at around Rs 40 a kg when its prices had gone up to Rs 80 per kg.
"The Delhi government has totally failed to contain onion prices in the city. The 600 onion stalls claimed to have been put up by the Delhi government to sell cheaper onions are hardly visible on the ground," he said.
Onion is selling at Rs 70-80 per kg in retail markets in the city.
"The Congress government in Delhi was contacted by NAFED to augment the supply of onions through cheap imports but it failed to respond and place any order. Onions are now more expensive than petrol and apples," Goel said.
About the party`s preparation for Assembly polls, Goel said BJP will announce its list of candidates after the September 29 rally to be addressed by the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
"We are working overtime to make September 29 rally a historic success which is currently the main focus of all party activities, so we will come out with our list of candidates for the coming assembly polls after September 29," he said.
Earlier, he had announced the first list of candidates will be announced by today.
"We are confident that in the true tradition of a cadre based party, once the candidates are announced, all party cadres and functionaries will work together for ensuring a historic victory in Delhi assembly polls to end 15 years of Congress` misrule," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves