BJP blames Delhi Govt for collapse, demands judicial probe
New Delhi: BJP today held the Sheila Dikshit
government responsible for the East Delhi building collapse
and demanded a judicial probe into the incident in which at
least 66 people lost their lives.
Senior BJP leader V K Malhotra blamed the flood control
department as well as Delhi Jal Board for failing to prevent
water accumulation in the area which weakened the foundation
of the building.
"This is not an accident. It is a kind of murder," the
Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly, alleged.
Earlier, Delhi Finance Minister A K Walia had said that
stagnant water in the basement had weakened the building and
that may be one of the reasons for the collapse.
It was responsibility of the Delhi Government to ensure
that the flood waters were channelled out, Malhotra said.
"Preventing flood water from entering into residential
areas was the responsibility of the Delhi Jal Board and the
Flood Control Department which function under the Delhi
Government," he said.
The BJP leader also alleged that the owner of the
building was "closely linked to the ruling Congress party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Narsingh Yadav missing Rio Olympics will mean India losing a medal: WFI President
- 7th Pay Commission Notification: Know all about revised pay rules
- Life terms for 9 Filipinos over 2013 Malaysia incursion
- Kerry warns North Korea of `real consequences` for weapons programme
- Chinese army bans Hong Kong`s Pokemon players from barracks