BJP blames Delhi Govt for collapse, demands judicial probe
New Delhi: BJP today held the Sheila Dikshit
government responsible for the East Delhi building collapse
and demanded a judicial probe into the incident in which at
least 66 people lost their lives.
Senior BJP leader V K Malhotra blamed the flood control
department as well as Delhi Jal Board for failing to prevent
water accumulation in the area which weakened the foundation
of the building.
"This is not an accident. It is a kind of murder," the
Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly, alleged.
Earlier, Delhi Finance Minister A K Walia had said that
stagnant water in the basement had weakened the building and
that may be one of the reasons for the collapse.
It was responsibility of the Delhi Government to ensure
that the flood waters were channelled out, Malhotra said.
"Preventing flood water from entering into residential
areas was the responsibility of the Delhi Jal Board and the
Flood Control Department which function under the Delhi
Government," he said.
The BJP leader also alleged that the owner of the
building was "closely linked to the ruling Congress party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed