BJP conquers East Delhi civic body polls
New Delhi: The ruling BJP conquered the East Delhi Municipal Corporation polls in the counting which took place on Tuesday.
In East Delhi Corporation, of the 64-ward, BJP won 35 seats, while Congress won 19 seats only. Three seats went to BSP`s kitty and the others won 7.
There are 104 each wards in South and North Corporations and 64 in the East, of which 138 seats are reserved for women.
The municipal polls was being seen as a crucial elections for Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Congress as well as opposition BJP with leaders believing that it could be an indicator for what could be in store for them in the Assembly polls which are just 18 months away.
BJP, which had 164 councillors in the undivided MCD against Congress` 67 and BSP`s 17, had been harping on alleged corruption by Dikshit government while Congress had been targeting the saffron party on its "inefficient and corrupt" administration in MCD.
In the 2007 polls to the undivided Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), BJP had bagged 36.17 percent of the around 42.35 lakh votes polled while Congress got 29.17 percent. BSP`s vote share was 9.87 per cent.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'