BJP conquers East Delhi civic body polls
New Delhi: The ruling BJP conquered the East Delhi Municipal Corporation polls in the counting which took place on Tuesday.
In East Delhi Corporation, of the 64-ward, BJP won 35 seats, while Congress won 19 seats only. Three seats went to BSP`s kitty and the others won 7.
There are 104 each wards in South and North Corporations and 64 in the East, of which 138 seats are reserved for women.
The municipal polls was being seen as a crucial elections for Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Congress as well as opposition BJP with leaders believing that it could be an indicator for what could be in store for them in the Assembly polls which are just 18 months away.
BJP, which had 164 councillors in the undivided MCD against Congress` 67 and BSP`s 17, had been harping on alleged corruption by Dikshit government while Congress had been targeting the saffron party on its "inefficient and corrupt" administration in MCD.
In the 2007 polls to the undivided Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), BJP had bagged 36.17 percent of the around 42.35 lakh votes polled while Congress got 29.17 percent. BSP`s vote share was 9.87 per cent.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam