BJP councillors to stage protest if beef served during CWG
New Delhi: The ruling BJP in MCD on Thursday
threatened that party councillors and workers will stage
protests and picket before the Commonwealth Games committee
office if beef is served during the event here in October.
BJP workers will also gherao the hotels or other places
where beef is being served and lodge FIRs against the
officials and hotel management, Leader of MCD House Subhash
Arya and Chairman of MCD Standing Committee Ram Kishan Singhal
told reporters here.
"We want to warn both Delhi and Central governments that
if serving of beef during Games create law and order problem
in the city, they themselves will be responsible for it," the
BJP leaders cautioned.
Arya said if Delhi government allows serving of beef, it
would not only "hurt the sentiments of crores of Indians but
also be responsible for the subsequent deterioration of law
Earlier this month, the MCD House adopted a resolution
against serving beef to foreign guests during the sports event
while former BJP President Rajnath Singh requested the Delhi
administration and Games committee to keep it out of the menu,
arguing that it could hurt religious sentiments.
Arya said the Delhi government passed Delhi Agricultural
Animal Protection Act, 1994 ensuring cow protection and
banning cow slaughter. The Games committee cannot seek
exemption from the law, he said.
Claiming that the Games Committee has approved the import
of beef, he said that he has written a letter to Lt Governor
Tejinder Khanna to advise it not to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest