BJP criticises minority status to Jamia Millia
New Delhi: The BJP on Tuesday criticised the
Centre`s contention that it supports the minority status
granted to Jamia Millia Islamia University by the National
Commission for Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI).
"Jamia is a central University and its expenditure has
always been borne by the Centre. It has been a general
university ever since its creation," senior BJP leader V K
Criticising the Centre`s position, he said minority
status to Jamia Millia Islamia university will harm the
interests of students from scheduled castes, scheduled tribes
and backward classes.
The Centre yesterday had told the Delhi High Court that
it supports the minority status granted to Jamia Millia
Islamia University by NCMEI.
In an affidavit submitted to the bench of Chief Justice
Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv, the Union Ministry of Human
Resource Development (HRD) said it respects the NCMEI`s
"Jamia`s secular image had persisted before and after
independence. But now suddenly after 63 years the NCMEI has
decided to declare it a minority institution," Malhotra said.
The court had earlier sought the government`s stand on a
plea challenging the NCMEI`s declaration. The plea contended
the Commission has no jurisdiction or authority to declare it
as a minority institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda