BJP demands Dikshit apology for remarks on cleaning Yamuna
New Delhi: Former Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta on Tuesday sought an apology from Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for allegedly calling the demand to save Yamuna a "political gimmick".
"The 600 km stretch of Yamuna, between Panipat and Itawa, has become a drain, and thousands of people are demanding that the river be made free from pollution. But Delhi CM has termed it a political gimmick. This shows the insensitiveness of her government," Gupta said while addressing Yamuna Bachao activists at Aligaon here.
The chief minister should apologise for her comment, he said.
Gupta demanded that the central government should take action against Dikshit for her comments, release water in Yamuna and ensure that no drains dump sewage into the mythological river.
The party has said it will attack the Congress government in the budget session of Delhi assembly beginning tomorrow for its "failure" to make Yamuna pollution-free inspite of spending over Rs 3,500 crore in the last few years.
Yamuna Bachao activists, on a march to Parliament from Vrindavan seeking urgent steps to "save" the Yamuna, reached here yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’