BJP demands Dikshit apology for remarks on cleaning Yamuna
New Delhi: Former Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta on Tuesday sought an apology from Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for allegedly calling the demand to save Yamuna a "political gimmick".
"The 600 km stretch of Yamuna, between Panipat and Itawa, has become a drain, and thousands of people are demanding that the river be made free from pollution. But Delhi CM has termed it a political gimmick. This shows the insensitiveness of her government," Gupta said while addressing Yamuna Bachao activists at Aligaon here.
The chief minister should apologise for her comment, he said.
Gupta demanded that the central government should take action against Dikshit for her comments, release water in Yamuna and ensure that no drains dump sewage into the mythological river.
The party has said it will attack the Congress government in the budget session of Delhi assembly beginning tomorrow for its "failure" to make Yamuna pollution-free inspite of spending over Rs 3,500 crore in the last few years.
Yamuna Bachao activists, on a march to Parliament from Vrindavan seeking urgent steps to "save" the Yamuna, reached here yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India