BJP demands FIR against Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: The Delhi unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday demanded that a first information report (FIR) be filed against Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit for allegedly misusing government funds for "political purpose".
"A report by the Delhi Lokayukta (ombudsman) must me made the basis for lodging an FIR against Sheila Dikshit. There is a criminal case of breach of trust," BJP leader Vijender Gupta said here.
Gupta was referring to a report of Delhi Lokayukta Manmohan Sarin, who indicted Dikshit for misusing public funds for "political purpose" by carrying out advertisements ahead of the 2008 assembly elections.
"Her act is height of immorality. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit is cunning and thick-skinned as she has not reacted to the Lokayukta report," Gupta claimed.
"This is the first time when any Lokayukta has recommended action against a chief minister for misuse of public exchequer for political purpose through government advertisement," Gupta said.
The BJP also announced it will hold a protest at Dikshit`s residence Friday.
"We will hold a protest at Dikshit`s residence. We want her to reimburse Rs.11 crore that was used for carrying out advertisements for political purpose," Delhi state BJP chief Vijay Goel said at a press conference.
Sarin, in his report, has also recommended to President Pranab Mukherjee to "advise" Dikshit to reimburse either herself or through her party a sum of Rs 11 crore as half the cost of the advertisements.
Goel told reporters the BJP would meet the president to seek action against Dikshit.
"Why is there a need for Lokayukta when you ignore its report? This is an insult to the constitutional authority," Goel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him