BJP demands Sheila Dikshit`s resignation
New Delhi: BJP workers on Saturday held a protest
rally and marched towards the Prime Minister`s residence
demanding dismissal of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit
over alleged admission of fraud by a senior Congress MLA.
The party workers, led by state president Vijender Gupta,
assembled at the Ramlila Maidan before marching towards
Parliament this morning.
The state BJP alleged in a statement that police used
force to disperse them, and said as many as 10,000 of its
workers were taken into custody as they tried to march towards
the PM`s residence.
Among the leaders who participated in the protest were
Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly, Vijay Kumar Malhotra,
and National General Secretary Vijay Goel.
At the centre of a controversy, Congress MLA Tarvinder
Singh Marwah resigned this week from the post of Parliamentary
Secretary to the Chief Minister following allegations that he
managed to get his daughter admitted in a Delhi University
college on a fake Class 12th marksheet.
Earlier, Delhi BJP President Vijender Gupta released
several documents including copy of the police complaint filed
by Mata Sundri College against Marwah charging him with
securing the admission of his daughter in BA course in July
last year by submitting "forged" documents.
Marwah, a three-time MLA from Jungpura, is considered
close to Dikshit who had appointed him as her Parliamentary
Secretary with Cabinet rank in December 2009.
Gupta said that even 96 hours after the lodging of an
FIR, Marwah has not been arrested, and charged that under
the Chief Minister`s pressure, attempts were being made to
suppress the case.
He demanded a CBI inquiry into the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery