BJP faces acid test in South Delhi Mayor election
New Delhi: After romping home unopposed in East and North Delhi Corporations, BJP may have to sweat it out to win the Mayor elections in South Delhi Corporation on Tuesday where the party has failed to gain majority.
It will be a three-cornered fight for Mayorship with Congress-supported NCP trying its luck while BJP ally INLD councillor is also in the fray. BJP has 44 members in the 104-member House.
According to municipal laws, besides councillors, five MPs and five MLAs from the area can cast their vote in the election. BJP needs 58 votes for a victory.
Congress has five MPs and three MLAs with voting rights in the Corporation while BJP has two MLAs.
BJP has fielded its veteran councillor Savita Gupta while NCP has fielded Phoolkali.
BJP sources said they were trying to convince Seema Pandit, a third Mayoral candidate, and her husband Kishan Pehelwan, who has criminal cases against him and is contesting for the Deputy Mayor post, to withdraw from the race. The couple have not taken any decision to withdraw from the race so far.
If Pehelwan decides to withdraw from the race, Bir Singh of BSP will be elected as the Deputy Mayor unopposed. BJP had decided not to contest the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- World Cup winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari wants to succeed Roy Hodgson as new England manager
- Another jolt to BSP, senior party leader RK Chaudhary also accuses Mayawati of auctioning election ticket
- Gold price up Rs 100 at Rs 30,350 per ten grams; silver tops Rs 43k level
- Vadra should be prosecuted for alleged suicide, if it was assisted, of his father: Subramanian Swamy
- Sachin Tendulkar's latest tweet proves that wherever he goes, India follows - See pic inside!