BJP for probe in ministry buildings construction
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday demanded a CBI inquiry into the alleged financial irregularities with regard to the construction of two buildings by Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta alleged that an internal audit has found bungling to the tune of crores of rupees, including in the construction of the Ministry headquarters known as Prithvi Bhawan.
"The contract of the building was awarded without following due process of tendering and it has been occupied by the ministry without proper clearance from the concerned authorities," he alleged.
Citing audit report and RTI queries, he said that no necessary clearance was granted to the ministry for the construction.
The delay in the construction of the building led to escalation of costs from Rs 49.8 crore to Rs 95 crore and still the building is incomplete, he said.
He also alleged that the building lacks essential safety measures and that the objections have been raised by NDMC, Fire Department and Buildings Department.
"There are huge irregularities and the ministry should come clean on all facts and place them before public. We also demand a CBI enquiry into the irregularities," he said.
Gupta also demanded an inquiry into the "mysterious" death of RTI activist Ravinder Balwani, who suffered fatal injuries in a hit-and-run incident in the capital last month.
"The death seems mysterious and the case is being hushed up. The family is alleging that he was murdered. BJP demands full inquiry in the case," he said.
Balwani, who retired from Delhi Transco in 2010 as a manager, was an aide of RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal and a member of his NGO, Parivartan. He was hit by a car on April 23 and died of head injuries three days later.
No arrests have been made and police claim there were no witnesses to the incident in Vasant Kunj market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday