BJP for probe in ministry buildings construction
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday demanded a CBI inquiry into the alleged financial irregularities with regard to the construction of two buildings by Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta alleged that an internal audit has found bungling to the tune of crores of rupees, including in the construction of the Ministry headquarters known as Prithvi Bhawan.
"The contract of the building was awarded without following due process of tendering and it has been occupied by the ministry without proper clearance from the concerned authorities," he alleged.
Citing audit report and RTI queries, he said that no necessary clearance was granted to the ministry for the construction.
The delay in the construction of the building led to escalation of costs from Rs 49.8 crore to Rs 95 crore and still the building is incomplete, he said.
He also alleged that the building lacks essential safety measures and that the objections have been raised by NDMC, Fire Department and Buildings Department.
"There are huge irregularities and the ministry should come clean on all facts and place them before public. We also demand a CBI enquiry into the irregularities," he said.
Gupta also demanded an inquiry into the "mysterious" death of RTI activist Ravinder Balwani, who suffered fatal injuries in a hit-and-run incident in the capital last month.
"The death seems mysterious and the case is being hushed up. The family is alleging that he was murdered. BJP demands full inquiry in the case," he said.
Balwani, who retired from Delhi Transco in 2010 as a manager, was an aide of RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal and a member of his NGO, Parivartan. He was hit by a car on April 23 and died of head injuries three days later.
No arrests have been made and police claim there were no witnesses to the incident in Vasant Kunj market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here