BJP for probe in ministry buildings construction
New Delhi: The BJP on Wednesday demanded a CBI inquiry into the alleged financial irregularities with regard to the construction of two buildings by Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta alleged that an internal audit has found bungling to the tune of crores of rupees, including in the construction of the Ministry headquarters known as Prithvi Bhawan.
"The contract of the building was awarded without following due process of tendering and it has been occupied by the ministry without proper clearance from the concerned authorities," he alleged.
Citing audit report and RTI queries, he said that no necessary clearance was granted to the ministry for the construction.
The delay in the construction of the building led to escalation of costs from Rs 49.8 crore to Rs 95 crore and still the building is incomplete, he said.
He also alleged that the building lacks essential safety measures and that the objections have been raised by NDMC, Fire Department and Buildings Department.
"There are huge irregularities and the ministry should come clean on all facts and place them before public. We also demand a CBI enquiry into the irregularities," he said.
Gupta also demanded an inquiry into the "mysterious" death of RTI activist Ravinder Balwani, who suffered fatal injuries in a hit-and-run incident in the capital last month.
"The death seems mysterious and the case is being hushed up. The family is alleging that he was murdered. BJP demands full inquiry in the case," he said.
Balwani, who retired from Delhi Transco in 2010 as a manager, was an aide of RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal and a member of his NGO, Parivartan. He was hit by a car on April 23 and died of head injuries three days later.
No arrests have been made and police claim there were no witnesses to the incident in Vasant Kunj market.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview