BJP holds protest outside CM`s residence
New Delhi: Scores of BJP activists led by Delhi state president Vijay Goel on Friday courted arrest during a protest outside Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s residence here against government`s alleged failure to provide houses to four lakh slum dwellers.
The activists broke the barricade and reached right in front of the Chief Minister`s residence shouting slogans and demanding Dikshit`s resignation.
They later courted arrest and were taken to Tuglaq Road police station from where they were released.
Addressing the protesters, Goel said that four lakh slum dwellers had filled forms under the Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojna paying Rs 100 each but not a single person got a flat under the scheme.
"Similarly, this government had claimed that 44,720 flats will be built under JNNURM scheme but only 10,684 flats were actually built and barely 85 flats were allotted to beneficiaries.
"The recent CAG reported has unearthed widespread irregularities and corruption in electricity, water, transport and health departments. Water and power has become dearer under this government. Sheila Dikshit has lost the moral right to rule and she should resign from her post owing responsibility for all this misgovernance," said Goel.
A number of slum dwellers who claimed to have filled forms under the Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojna had also gathered to protest at Dikshit`s residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city