BJP MLAs elect Harsh Vardhan as legislative party leader
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Two days after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won 32 seats in the recently held Delhi Assembly elections, Dr Harsh Vardhan was on Tuesday elected as legislative leader by the party.
BJP chief ministerial candidate Vardhan said they will make Delhi corruption-free.
"...we have always said that we will make Delhi corruption-free. If we can make Delhi polio-free, then we can certainly make Delhi corruption-free," Vardhan said.
The hung verdict in Delhi Assembly polls has raised intriguing questions about government formation in the national capital.
With 31 seats, BJP has emerged as the single largest party but is still short of the majority mark of 36 in the 70-member Assembly. The second largest party is the fledgling Aam Admi Party with 28 followed by Congress with 8 seats. One seat each has gone to an Independent, JD(U) and Akali Dal, which is an ally of BJP.
Dr Vardhan will be the Chief Minister if the BJP is able to secure 3 more seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly.
The BJP’s chief ministerial candidate won big in his own constituency defeating AAP’s Ishrat Ali Ansari and Congress leader Dr VK Monga.
Dr Vardhan has said he will not stake claim to form a government in Delhi as his party is short of a clear majority and would prefer to sit in the opposition than indulging in "horse trading".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth