BJP MLAs elect Harsh Vardhan as legislative party leader
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Two days after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won 32 seats in the recently held Delhi Assembly elections, Dr Harsh Vardhan was on Tuesday elected as legislative leader by the party.
BJP chief ministerial candidate Vardhan said they will make Delhi corruption-free.
"...we have always said that we will make Delhi corruption-free. If we can make Delhi polio-free, then we can certainly make Delhi corruption-free," Vardhan said.
The hung verdict in Delhi Assembly polls has raised intriguing questions about government formation in the national capital.
With 31 seats, BJP has emerged as the single largest party but is still short of the majority mark of 36 in the 70-member Assembly. The second largest party is the fledgling Aam Admi Party with 28 followed by Congress with 8 seats. One seat each has gone to an Independent, JD(U) and Akali Dal, which is an ally of BJP.
Dr Vardhan will be the Chief Minister if the BJP is able to secure 3 more seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly.
The BJP’s chief ministerial candidate won big in his own constituency defeating AAP’s Ishrat Ali Ansari and Congress leader Dr VK Monga.
Dr Vardhan has said he will not stake claim to form a government in Delhi as his party is short of a clear majority and would prefer to sit in the opposition than indulging in "horse trading".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray