BJP not considering forming Delhi government
New Delhi: The BJP Saturday said it was "not considering forming" the government in Delhi as it does not have the required numbers and was ready to face a re-election.
"We don`t have the numbers. So we are not considering forming a government (in Delhi)," said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Nitin Gadkari.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal resigned Friday after the Congress and the BJP did not allow the Jan Lokpal bill to be introduced in the assembly, bringing down the curtain on the 49-day-old AAP government.
The BJP, which had emerged as the single largest party in the assembly elections winning 31 seats, held a meeting Saturday to discuss the future course of action.
State BJP president Vijay Goel said the party would launch an agitation at the Jantar Mantar Feb 18 and a door-to-door campaign to expose the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
"This (resignation) was scripted and planned," Goel said.
On forming the government in Delhi, Goel said: "We don`t want to comment on it right now, but if elections take place tomorrow, we are ready."
"The ball is in the Lt Governor`s court regarding dissolution of the assembly and president`s rule, so let him take a decision first and then we would give an appropriate response," he said further.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung Saturday night recommended that Delhi be placed under president`s rule by keeping the legislature under suspended animation. The union cabinet accepted his recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report