BJP not considering forming Delhi government
New Delhi: The BJP Saturday said it was "not considering forming" the government in Delhi as it does not have the required numbers and was ready to face a re-election.
"We don`t have the numbers. So we are not considering forming a government (in Delhi)," said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Nitin Gadkari.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal resigned Friday after the Congress and the BJP did not allow the Jan Lokpal bill to be introduced in the assembly, bringing down the curtain on the 49-day-old AAP government.
The BJP, which had emerged as the single largest party in the assembly elections winning 31 seats, held a meeting Saturday to discuss the future course of action.
State BJP president Vijay Goel said the party would launch an agitation at the Jantar Mantar Feb 18 and a door-to-door campaign to expose the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
"This (resignation) was scripted and planned," Goel said.
On forming the government in Delhi, Goel said: "We don`t want to comment on it right now, but if elections take place tomorrow, we are ready."
"The ball is in the Lt Governor`s court regarding dissolution of the assembly and president`s rule, so let him take a decision first and then we would give an appropriate response," he said further.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung Saturday night recommended that Delhi be placed under president`s rule by keeping the legislature under suspended animation. The union cabinet accepted his recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh
- Attention parents! Childhood head injury may up mental illness, mortality risk
- My mom gets worried about controversies: Sonakshi Sinha