BJP not considering forming Delhi government
New Delhi: The BJP Saturday said it was "not considering forming" the government in Delhi as it does not have the required numbers and was ready to face a re-election.
"We don`t have the numbers. So we are not considering forming a government (in Delhi)," said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Nitin Gadkari.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal resigned Friday after the Congress and the BJP did not allow the Jan Lokpal bill to be introduced in the assembly, bringing down the curtain on the 49-day-old AAP government.
The BJP, which had emerged as the single largest party in the assembly elections winning 31 seats, held a meeting Saturday to discuss the future course of action.
State BJP president Vijay Goel said the party would launch an agitation at the Jantar Mantar Feb 18 and a door-to-door campaign to expose the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
"This (resignation) was scripted and planned," Goel said.
On forming the government in Delhi, Goel said: "We don`t want to comment on it right now, but if elections take place tomorrow, we are ready."
"The ball is in the Lt Governor`s court regarding dissolution of the assembly and president`s rule, so let him take a decision first and then we would give an appropriate response," he said further.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung Saturday night recommended that Delhi be placed under president`s rule by keeping the legislature under suspended animation. The union cabinet accepted his recommendations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people