BJP opposes DERC move to initiate process to hike power tariff
New Delhi: Opposing the move by Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) to hike power tariff, BJP on Friday said the regulator is working in a doubtful manner.
Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel alleged that the DERC`s move was in collusion with the power discoms.
He said there was no need for an increase as BJP was convinced that power tariff in Delhi can easily be slashed by 30 per cent.
"The DERC is working in a doubtful manner to hike power tariff in Delhi. The consultants have been appointed and advertisement has been given for the purpose. The BJP strongly condemns this attempt to hike power tariff. The party is committed to reduction of power tariff by 30 per cent, if elected," Goel said.
He said BJP has been raising the issue of transparency in tariff setting by DERC and also process of tariff determination.
"The fact that the consultants appointed by the DERC were also either statutory auditors or were working for one or the other discoms, it constitutes a breach of trust on the part of the DERC. There is clear conflict of interests on part of the consultants," Goel said.
Questioning the move, he said that DERC seems to be in a hurry to hike tariff while the election was around the corner.
"Whatever policy decision was to be taken regarding revision of power tariff should be taken by the new government. But, the DERC`s action reflects collusion between the regulator, which seems to be acting at the behest of the Congress government and the private discoms," Goel said.
The BJP had raised the issue in March, when he along with Member of State Advisory Committee of DERC Anil Sood and other experts met the DERC Chairman.
The DERC Chairman then admitted that the regulator committed mistake in the appointment of the consultants and assured the delegation to rectify the mistake soon, he said, adding but, the advertisement released by the DERC on November 28 and appearing in newspapers shows a totally casual and careless attitude of the DERC.
"On the one hand the discoms were likely to submit the Aggregate Revenue Requirements (ARR) and on the other, it is extending the date for submission of Request for Proposal by the Consultants. This means the DERC was not at all ready to review the ARR and undertake the exercise of True-Up," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!