BJP opposes proposed development fee on unauthorised colonies
New Delhi: Taking strong exception to
Delhi government`s proposal for levying Rs 200 per sq metre
as development fee on unauthorised colonies, state BJP on Friday
accused it of enacting a "drama" on the issue of regularising
The party`s state unit also announced that it would
hold a demonstration in front of the Delhi Secretariat in
protest against the proposal on Monday.
"Bharatiya Janata Party strongly opposes the
imposition of development fee and fraud in the name of
regularisation of unauthorised colonies by the Delhi
Government," Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta said.
He said if the government`s intentions are good it
should immediately approve a package of Rs 10,000 crore for
the development of unauthorised colonies and provide relief to
the people living in apalling conditions.
The residents of unauthorized colonies have been
paying for water connection and sewer charges besides power
connection. Now they have been asked to deposit 50 rupees per
sq mtr for approval of map also which is not justified, he
"Delhi government is only playing a drama of
regularising the unauthorized colonies, it has not taken any
concrete step for regularisation," he alleged.
The BJP chief was responding to reports that a GoM of
the Delhi government has decided to impose a fee of Rs 200 per
sq metre for regularising the colonies. This amount will be
used to lay roads and provide street lights.
"33 per cent of the people of Delhi living in J J
Colonies, slum areas are suffering due to the Congress
misrule," he alleged.
Meanwhile, BJP activists led by Gupta, staged a
demonstration outside the American Embassy to protest
radio-tagging of Indian students by Tri Valley University in
"Indian students in America are not criminals that
they should be treated like this. This is condemnable," Gupta
said. They also submitted a memorandum to the Ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray