BJP questions safety of Signature Bridge after CAG report
New Delhi: The BJP on Monday questioned safety of the Signature Bridge in East Delhi after the CAG objected to allowing use of pre-fabricated steel frames imported from China for its construction.
"It is a serious issue that there is no mechanism with the Delhi Government to check the quality of material and fabrication work being done in China. This raises concern about the safety of the bridge," Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel said.
In a draft report, the Comptroller and Auditor General has rapped Delhi Government for use of pre-fabricated steel frames imported from China for construction of the bridge across the Yamuna in East Delhi which is modelled on the famed London Bridge and is likely to be completed by the end of 2014.
The CAG observed that procurement of steel frames from China was in violation of contractual norms and said the Delhi Government agency implementing the project does not have any mechanism to check quality of material and fabrication work being done in China.
The CAG has also slammed Delhi Government for escalation of the cost of the project by Rs 672 crore against the initial estimate.
Goel sought to know the "reason" for revising the estimate of the bridge for six times between May 2005 and October 2009.
The government in March 2006 had estimated a total cost of Rs 459 crore for construction of the bridge which went up to Rs 1,131 crore when the project was finalised in February 2010.
The Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC) is executing the Rs 1,131-crore project which is expected to be completed by middle of 2014.
Designed as a replica of the famous London bridge, the 575-metre long and 175-metre-high bridge will have bow-shaped pylon with cables.
To be suspended on cables, the bridge will have two approaches -- the Eastern Approach and the Western Approach.
It will link NH-1 on the western bank of Yamuna with Wazirabad on eastern bank of the river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'