BJP running away from fresh Assembly polls in Delhi: AAP
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party on Sunday claimed that BJP was "running away" from fresh elections in the national capital and also questioned Congress`s "silence" over whether or not it wants the Delhi Assembly to be dissolved.
"The double-meaning statements and consistent U-turns by BJP on the current political situation in Delhi makes it clear that it is running away from fresh elections and wants to resort to the `Aaya Ram, Gaya Ram` culture, against which Supreme Court had warned on April 17 of this year," an AAP spokesperson said today.
On the other hand, Congress`s silence on whether it is willing to officially communicate in writing to the Lt Governor and Supreme Court that Delhi Assembly should be dissolved proves that it is indirectly supporting BJP`s `Aya Ram, Gaya Ram` brand of politics, he added.
AAP said that during the hearing of its petition challenging the central government`s decision to keep the Delhi Assembly in suspended animation instead of dissolving it, Supreme Court had observed on April 17 that, "Nothing should be done which facilitates `Aaya Ram, Gaya Ram` (or horse-trading brand of politics) in the Assembly."
Questioning both BJP and Congress, AAP said it is difficult to understand why the two parties are afraid of stating so officially and clearly in writing if indeed they want fresh elections.
"Can BJP and Congress deny that they have both opposed the demand for dissolution of Delhi Assembly in Supreme Court? Can these two parties deny that the decision of Congress-led UPA government of not dissolving the Delhi Assembly has been supported and continued by BJP`s new central government?
"Is it not a fact that despite repeated queries by Supreme Court since April, BJP and Congress have evaded making a reply on whether they want fresh elections in Delhi?," AAP said.
"The 32 MLAs of BJP and eight of Congress had come together to defeat the Jan Lokpal of the (previous) AAP government; why are these 40 MLAs running away from giving it in writing to the Lt Governor and Supreme Court that they want elections," AAP added.
The Arvind Kejriwal-led party stated that it will "continue to expose the BJP`s unholy designs of subverting democracy by trying to cobble together a majority through horse-trading".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'