BJP seeks FIR against accused in self-immolation bid case
New Delhi: The self-immolation bid by a former employee of a city college outside the state secretariat last week was a result of "sexual harassment" at workplace, Delhi BJP leader Vijay Jolly and former Delhi Mayor Aarti Mehra alleged on Sunday while demanding that an FIR be registered at once in the case.
On September 30, a 35-year-old former lab assistant at Bheem Rao Ambedkar College, had set herself ablaze in front of the secretariat in protest against alleged physical and mental harassment by the principal and another staff member of the college.
Senior BJP leaders today visited the victim at the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash hospital where she was admitted with 95 per cent burns.
"This extreme step (self-immolation bid)) was a direct result of sexual harassment at workplace by the principal over the last few years," BJP leaders said.
They said that even five days after the incident, no FIR had been registered against the college principal.
"Why has the principal not been arrested," they added.
They also slammed Delhi government over its "insensitive attitude" and questioned why the Delhi Chief Minister and the Education Minister had not cared to visit the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow