BJP seeks FIR against accused in self-immolation bid case
New Delhi: The self-immolation bid by a former employee of a city college outside the state secretariat last week was a result of "sexual harassment" at workplace, Delhi BJP leader Vijay Jolly and former Delhi Mayor Aarti Mehra alleged on Sunday while demanding that an FIR be registered at once in the case.
On September 30, a 35-year-old former lab assistant at Bheem Rao Ambedkar College, had set herself ablaze in front of the secretariat in protest against alleged physical and mental harassment by the principal and another staff member of the college.
Senior BJP leaders today visited the victim at the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash hospital where she was admitted with 95 per cent burns.
"This extreme step (self-immolation bid)) was a direct result of sexual harassment at workplace by the principal over the last few years," BJP leaders said.
They said that even five days after the incident, no FIR had been registered against the college principal.
"Why has the principal not been arrested," they added.
They also slammed Delhi government over its "insensitive attitude" and questioned why the Delhi Chief Minister and the Education Minister had not cared to visit the victim.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- CTET May 8 exam: CBSE releases admit cards, eligible list for Haryana candidates
- Arvind Kejriwal lauds PM Narendra Modi's Cabinet Minister Suresh Prabhu – Know why
- OMG: Akshay Kumar's bodyguard punches a fan – Details inside
- SHOCKING! Pakistan umpire Aleem Dar's sons involved in major controversy in Scotland - Read full story
- Kerala Assembly Election 2016: Arun Jaitley to release NDA's vision document today