BJP seeks Jung`s intervention on extension of power subsidy
New Delhi: BJP on Friday sought Lt Governor Najeeb Jung`s intervention to ensure extension of the power subsidy in Delhi beyond March 31 when it will expire.
Accusing Aam Aadmi Party government of "deceiving" people on the issue, senior BJP leader V K Malhotra asked why the Arvind Kejriwal dispensation did not make any provision in the interim budget for continuation of the subsidy.
On December 31, the then AAP government had announced 50 per cent power subsidy to those consumers whose consumption do not exceed 400 units a month.
The AAP government had decided to provide the subsidy till March 31 and announced that it would be reviewed thereafter.
"They misled the people of Delhi. There was no budgetary provision for the subsidy beyond March 31," Malhotra told a press conference.
Both BJP and Congress have been attacking AAP for not making provisions for extension of the subsidy beyond March 31. AAP has been maintaining that Congress and BJP had stalled the move in the assembly.
Around 28 lakh consumers have been benefitting from the subsidy scheme which was first announced by Congress government in 2007. The AAP government had increased the subsidy component to 50 per cent for those limiting their consumption to 400 units per month.
Malhotra also slammed the private power distribution companies for "not cooperating" with the CAG scrutiny of their accounts.
"Lt Governor should order a stern action against power companies so that they cooperate with the CAG audit," said Malhotra.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!