BJP seeks Jung`s intervention on extension of power subsidy
New Delhi: BJP on Friday sought Lt Governor Najeeb Jung`s intervention to ensure extension of the power subsidy in Delhi beyond March 31 when it will expire.
Accusing Aam Aadmi Party government of "deceiving" people on the issue, senior BJP leader V K Malhotra asked why the Arvind Kejriwal dispensation did not make any provision in the interim budget for continuation of the subsidy.
On December 31, the then AAP government had announced 50 per cent power subsidy to those consumers whose consumption do not exceed 400 units a month.
The AAP government had decided to provide the subsidy till March 31 and announced that it would be reviewed thereafter.
"They misled the people of Delhi. There was no budgetary provision for the subsidy beyond March 31," Malhotra told a press conference.
Both BJP and Congress have been attacking AAP for not making provisions for extension of the subsidy beyond March 31. AAP has been maintaining that Congress and BJP had stalled the move in the assembly.
Around 28 lakh consumers have been benefitting from the subsidy scheme which was first announced by Congress government in 2007. The AAP government had increased the subsidy component to 50 per cent for those limiting their consumption to 400 units per month.
Malhotra also slammed the private power distribution companies for "not cooperating" with the CAG scrutiny of their accounts.
"Lt Governor should order a stern action against power companies so that they cooperate with the CAG audit," said Malhotra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof