BJP stages vociferous protest in Assembly over price rise
New Delhi: Opposition BJP on Tuesday staged a
vociferous protest in the Delhi Assembly on the issue of price
rise, forcing repeated adjournments.
The House witnessed pandemonium as soon as it was
convened with BJP and Congress MLAs locking horns over an
adjournment motion moved by Leader of Opposition V K Malhotra.
As soon as Malhotra requested Speaker Yoganand Shastri
to allow the adjournment motion on the issue of price rise,
Congress MLAs were on their feet vociferously protesting
Immediately, all the BJP MLAs stood up and started
shouting anti-government slogans, accusing the Sheila Dikshit
led government of doing nothing to rein in prices of essential
"At a time when all the people in the city are
affected by back breaking price rise of essential commodities,
the chief minister says the price rise has not at all affected
the people," said Malhotra.
As the din continued, some of the BJP MLAs came to the
well of the House and as several attempts to pacify agitated
MLAs did not fructify, the Speaker adjourned the House for 20
Same was the case when the House met again at 2:30 pm
forcing another adjournment. Similar scenes were repeated at
3:40 pm and 4:30 pm when the House met. Little business was
transacted in the House today.
BJP MLAs came rushing to the Well whenever the House
met, demanding the adjournment motion be taken up. At one
time, a BJP MLA even lied down on the floor and removed his
shirt as part of his protest.
Outside the House, Malhotra said it was "very
unfortunate" that the government was shying away from
having a discussion on a issue which has been affecting
residents of the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack