BJP tries to woo Poorvanchalis with promise of Chhath holiday
New Delhi: Eyeing poorvanchali voters in poll-bound Delhi, BJP on Wednesday promised to declare `Chhath`, a key fesival of the community, a public holiday along with a plethora of sops, if voted to power.
Former BJP President and incharge of Delhi for Assembly Elections Nitin Gadkari also promised medical benefits under free health insurance scheme and 10 lakh low cost houses to benfit the poor among the Poorvanchali people, who basically hail from Bihar, Jharkhand and eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"People of Poorvanchal will be given equal opportunities. I want to assure you, if BJP is voted to power in Delhi, Chhath puja will be declared a public holiday," he said.
Gadkari said a large number of people comprising the economically weake r sections are from Poorvanchal who are engaged in different jobs like workers, labourers, rickshaw puller and others.
"When the party comes to power, the 40 lakh poor people residing in Delhi will be given medical benefits under free health insurance scheme," he said while addressing a conference of party`s Poorvanchal Morcha here.
Going all out to woo the community, he said, "BJP government would construct 10 lakh low cost houses and the majority of them would be given to them."
The senior leader did not stop there and assured that BJP will bring down the power tariff by 30 percent.
He also attacked Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit for blaming the large migrant population for rising crime graph in the city.
"On what grounds is Congress asking for your votes, if it has not done much for you people. Is Congress trying to garner support by fooling the voters," the senior BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Would love to do 'Charlie's Angels' with Jacqueline, Nargis: Lisa Haydon
- Barack Obama banishes Vietnam war era with lifting of arms ban
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution