BJP trying to hide its failure, alleges Cong
New Delhi: With BJP campaign for MCD polls
focusing on "corruption" at the Centre and in Delhi
Government, the Congress today alleged that the rival party
was not raising local issues as it had "failed" in governing
the civic body for the past five years.
Besides its chief J P Agarwal, the Delhi Congress fielded
two ministers -- Arvinder Singh Lovely and Haroon Yusuf -- to
attack the BJP, which currently rules the Municipal
Corporation of Delhi.
While Agarwal hit out at the BJP for raising house tax,
toll tax and parking charges in the past five years thereby
"burdening" people, Lovely claimed that the Delhi Transport
Corporation had to withdraw its low-floor buses from roads
laid by the MCD as they were bad.
"The elections are to elect councillors for the MCD. It is
MCD elections. Why is BJP`s campaign focused on the Centre and
the Delhi Governments? Why can`t they talk about local
issues?" Lovely asked at a press conference.
He also alleged that the BJP had failed in all counts
while governing the MCD since 2007 and wondered whether even
MCD employees go to hospitals run by it for treatment.
The Transport and Education Minister also compared the
services being provided by hospitals managed by the Delhi
Government and the civic body.
Elections to newly-carved three Municipal Corporations of
Delhi are scheduled on April 15 and the high-voltage campaign
in the run up to it have pitted the two principal players
against each other on a host of issues.
Agarwal also alleged that the BJP had a number of issues
over distribution of tickets, while the same process was
"smoothly handled" by his party.
"The BJP-ruled MCD raised house tax, toll tax and parking
rates. They made things worse in Delhi. They tried levying tax
on people who live in colonies, but we got it scrapped...what
did the councillors do to control inflation?. They failed in
the past five years," he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves