BJP wins bypoll in two wards in Delhi
New Delhi: BJP Tuesday won the bypoll in two wards in North and East Delhi Municipal Corporation.
In Nangloi East (ward no 43), Renu Shokeen of BJP wrested the seat from Congress winning by a margin of 4758 votes. While she polled 15,887 votes, her closest rival Ramesh Devi of Congress secured 11,129 votes.
In Yamuna Vihar (ward no 256), the BJP held on to its seat with a victory margin of 4,317 votes with Asha Tayal of the ruling party getting 13,123 votes as against 8,806 of Sushila Agrawal of Congress.
The seat in Nangloi East was earlier held by Congress councillor Satyam Yadav, who died late last year. The death of BJP councillor Vijay Bahal in February this year led to bye-elections in Yamuna Vihar ward.
The voting for the two wards had taken place on May 5 with over 50 per cent voters coming out to exercise their franchise and the results were announced today.
While four candidates, including those from BJP and Congress were in the fray for Nangloi seat, eight candidates had filed their nomination for Yamuna Vihar.
Currently, BJP holds a clear majority in both the North and East Corporation houses but these bypolls are being considered significant due to the state assembly elections due to be held in November this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital