BJP workers clash with cops enroute PM residence
New Delhi: Hundreds of BJP youth wing activists on Sunday clashed with police when they were stopped from marching towards Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence to demand his resignation and proper probe into scams against the UPA government.
Led by their leader Anurag Thakur, the Yuva Morcha activists, holding placards and shouting slogans, started their march from Aurangzeb Road. Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel also joined the protest along with his supporters.
They were, however, prevented from moving further near Tughlaq Road police station. Prior to this, the BJP youth activists burnt an effigy of the Prime Minister before trying to move towards Race Course Road where prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the CrPC were invoked.
When confronted by police, they clashed with cops and broke one barricade to march ahead but were stopped as police used water canon against them. The protesters, including Thakur and Goel, were detained and taken to Tughlaq Road police station from where they were released later.
Anticipating the protest, the Race Course Road Metro station near the Prime Minister`s residence was closed for public for nearly three hours this morning.
"With this demonstration, we demand that the PM ought to speak up and also demand proper investigation into the scams and cases of corruption against Congress and its Ministers, coming out in the news on a daily basis," Thakur said.
Goel claimed every day people hear of a new scam.
"The country wants the Prime Minister to come clean on who former Law Minister Ashwani Kumar was trying to save. He needs to resign immediately if he really wants to save whatever credibility he feels is left with him," the Delhi BJP chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured