BJP workers clash with cops enroute PM residence
New Delhi: Hundreds of BJP youth wing activists on Sunday clashed with police when they were stopped from marching towards Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence to demand his resignation and proper probe into scams against the UPA government.
Led by their leader Anurag Thakur, the Yuva Morcha activists, holding placards and shouting slogans, started their march from Aurangzeb Road. Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel also joined the protest along with his supporters.
They were, however, prevented from moving further near Tughlaq Road police station. Prior to this, the BJP youth activists burnt an effigy of the Prime Minister before trying to move towards Race Course Road where prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the CrPC were invoked.
When confronted by police, they clashed with cops and broke one barricade to march ahead but were stopped as police used water canon against them. The protesters, including Thakur and Goel, were detained and taken to Tughlaq Road police station from where they were released later.
Anticipating the protest, the Race Course Road Metro station near the Prime Minister`s residence was closed for public for nearly three hours this morning.
"With this demonstration, we demand that the PM ought to speak up and also demand proper investigation into the scams and cases of corruption against Congress and its Ministers, coming out in the news on a daily basis," Thakur said.
Goel claimed every day people hear of a new scam.
"The country wants the Prime Minister to come clean on who former Law Minister Ashwani Kumar was trying to save. He needs to resign immediately if he really wants to save whatever credibility he feels is left with him," the Delhi BJP chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...