BJP workers clash with cops enroute PM residence
New Delhi: Hundreds of BJP youth wing activists on Sunday clashed with police when they were stopped from marching towards Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence to demand his resignation and proper probe into scams against the UPA government.
Led by their leader Anurag Thakur, the Yuva Morcha activists, holding placards and shouting slogans, started their march from Aurangzeb Road. Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel also joined the protest along with his supporters.
They were, however, prevented from moving further near Tughlaq Road police station. Prior to this, the BJP youth activists burnt an effigy of the Prime Minister before trying to move towards Race Course Road where prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the CrPC were invoked.
When confronted by police, they clashed with cops and broke one barricade to march ahead but were stopped as police used water canon against them. The protesters, including Thakur and Goel, were detained and taken to Tughlaq Road police station from where they were released later.
Anticipating the protest, the Race Course Road Metro station near the Prime Minister`s residence was closed for public for nearly three hours this morning.
"With this demonstration, we demand that the PM ought to speak up and also demand proper investigation into the scams and cases of corruption against Congress and its Ministers, coming out in the news on a daily basis," Thakur said.
Goel claimed every day people hear of a new scam.
"The country wants the Prime Minister to come clean on who former Law Minister Ashwani Kumar was trying to save. He needs to resign immediately if he really wants to save whatever credibility he feels is left with him," the Delhi BJP chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back