BJP`s Jagdish Mukhi files nomination for Delhi Assembly Speaker`s post
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior Delhi BJP leader Jagdish Mukhi on Thursday filed his nomination for the post of Speaker in the newly-elected Delhi Assembly.
Mukhi, MLA from Janakpuri-Uttam Nagar constituency, had earlier declined to be the pro-tem Speaker of the Delhi Assembly.
Declining the offer, Mukhi had said that “the decision was taken by my party that neither I nor any MLA of the party will be the pro-tem Speaker".
Mukhi declined the offer after Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung Mukhi appointed him to the post of pro-tem Speaker.
Mukhi is a former minister for Finance, Planning, Excise and Taxation and Higher Education in the Delhi government.
The BJP, which declined to form the government in Delhi despite emerging as the single largest party in Assembly Elections, had expressed its keenness for the post of Speaker.
The Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government will seek a vote of confidence later today on the floor of the House, while elections to the post of Speaker and Deputy Speaker will be held tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands