BJP`s Ram Narain Dubey to be elected as East Delhi Mayor
New Delhi: BJP`s Ram Narain Dubey is all set to become Mayor of East Delhi Municipal Corporation with the party having a comfortable majority in the civic body, even as a Congress candidate entered the fray at the last minute.
Just before the 5 pm deadline for filing of nomination, Rajeev Verma and Raj Kumari of Congress filed their nominations for the post of Mayor and Deputy Mayor respectively for the April 9 election.
Earlier, Dubey filed his nomination papers along with his party colleague Mahendra Ahuja who has been nominated by BJP for the post of Deputy Mayor. Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel was present during filing of nomination.
BJP councillors Sanjay Surjan and Sanjay Kaushik also filed their nomination papers for the posts of Standing Committee Chairman and Deputy Standing Committee Chairman respectively.
Listing his priorities, Dubey said garbage collection and ensuring better sanitation will be his top priority. "In the past one year, we have increased our capacity to handle the garbage collection in East Delhi area. I will continue to work towards this agenda and it is my top priority," he said.
In addition, he called for more focus on health and education. "The health services to poor people and enrolment of children who remain out of school will also be our priority," the councillor from Dilshad colony said.
Acknowledging that the civic bodies depend a lot on the state government for their financial needs, the Mayoral candidate also called on both parties to work in cooperation.
"I believe that the Delhi government should cooperate with us in every respect to take the city forward. We are ready to cooperate with them," he said.
Standing Committee chairman candidate Sanjay Surjan also talked about revenue generation, saying it will be his area of focus. "We will try to bring most of the population under house tax and also look at other ways of increasing revenue. Besides this, we will also fix responsibility on officers for pot-hole free roads and conduct surprise inspections," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her