Blast accused denies Batla House gunbattle
New Delhi: An alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative, who is an accused in the 2008 Delhi serial blasts, on Friday appeared as defence witness in Batla House encounter trial where he denied that any gun battle had taken place between occupants of the flat and the police.
"We were caught on gun point," deposed Moh Saif as he appeared through video conferencing from Ahmedabad`s Sabarmati jail, where he is lodged in connection with another blasts case, in defence of Shahzad Ahmed -- the lone accused in the September 19 Batla House encounter.
In his deposition before Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri, he said, "It is wrong to say that apart from me, Mohd Atif Ameen, Mohd Sajid, Ariz Khan alias Junaid and Shahzad Ahmed were also present there (flat no 108, L-18, Batla House).
"It is wrong to say that they fired at police or one Inspector of Delhi Police Mohan Chand Sharma, who died and one head constable Balwant suffered injuries."
Mohd Saif deposed that he along with Atif and Sajid was sleeping in a room from where they were caught on gun point.
"We were caught on gun point. I heard the sound of firing. I heard same sound of firing for some time. After that, they took me away from the spot with covered face to police station."
Mohd Saif was one of the occupants of the flat in Jamia Nagar which was raided by police during its probe in the September 13 serial blasts here. He is alleged to have surrendered and disclosed his and other`s involvement in the blasts.
"It is wrong to say that I surrendered before the police peacefully on that day. I was taken from that flat in custody. I do not know in which case I was arrested by the police. It is wrong to say that I had disclosed myself before the police that I am a member of IM," he deposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official