Blockade in Delhi over water crisis
New Delhi: Over 250 people in east Delhi blocked roads, damaged buses and stoned policemen here Tuesday after going without water in their homes for 10 long days, police said.
The residents of Kondli said they were frustrated because repeated petitions to the authorities had had no effect. "The government officials took no action," one resident said.
The enraged residents raised slogans against the officials, damaged two passenger buses and stoned police, injuring seven policemen. They blocked traffic for over two hours, a police officer said.
Several protesters were taken into custody.
Many parts of Delhi, particularly those where the poor live, are suffering an acute water shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what