Blockade in Delhi over water crisis
New Delhi: Over 250 people in east Delhi blocked roads, damaged buses and stoned policemen here Tuesday after going without water in their homes for 10 long days, police said.
The residents of Kondli said they were frustrated because repeated petitions to the authorities had had no effect. "The government officials took no action," one resident said.
The enraged residents raised slogans against the officials, damaged two passenger buses and stoned police, injuring seven policemen. They blocked traffic for over two hours, a police officer said.
Several protesters were taken into custody.
Many parts of Delhi, particularly those where the poor live, are suffering an acute water shortage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- After 11 years Mars will come closest to Earth on May 30
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...
- Rahul Singh takes blessings from poor on his B-day
- Dino Morea, Ranbir Kapoor flaunt football skills! - See pics
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma