Blueline driver jailed for mowing down woman
New Delhi: A Blueline bus driver has been sentenced to a year in jail for mowing down a woman with his rashly-driven vehicle 12 years ago with the court saying that rising cases of road mishaps cannot be curbed without strict punishments.
District Judge R K Gauba imposed the jail term on driver Azim Khan, rejecting his plea for leniency and observing that his momentary pleasure of rash driving resulted in loss of a precious life.
"The capital city of Delhi has been witnessing rather too frequently fatal accidents on roads. It appears discipline cannot be brought about, unless there is some element of deterrence.
"In the given facts and circumstances where a precious life came to an untimely end, due to momentary pleasure drawn by appellant (Khan) indulging in rash driving of a commercial vehicle, there is no scope for any view more lenient than what has already been shown by the trial court," the court said.
The ruling came on an appeal by Khan against the magisterial court order, sentencing him to a year in jail and a fine of Rs 3,500.
The road mishap dated back to October 2000, when victim Kanta Puri, was going with her husband Raj Kumar Puri on his scooter towards Safdarjung Airport.
When they were crossing AIIMS intersection, Khan jumped the traffic signal and hit Puri`s scooter from behind, dragging it with the bus for several meters.
The couple received grievous injures and was taken to the hospital where the woman died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000