Book couple under SC/ST act: Delhi court
New Delhi: A couple has been ordered to be put on trial by a Delhi court for allegedly making derogatory and castiest remarks against a scheduled caste widow publicly.
Additional Sessions Judge T R Naval said there is prima facie enough evidence against the Delhi-based couple to order framing of charges against them for the offences under the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocity) Act.
He ordered framing of charges against them for offences dealing with intentionally insulting a member of a scheduled caste in a public place to humiliate him/her.
"Prima facie there is sufficient material to frame charge against both the accused for the offence of atrocity punishable under section 3 (i) (x) of the Act. Let charge against them be framed accordingly," the court said.
The order came on widow`s complaint, which said she belonged to scheduled caste and the accused, who are her neighbours and belonged to a higher caste, uttered castiest remarks to humiliate her publicly last year in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren