Boy falls in drain; HC asks MCD to pay Rs 6L comp
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has held MCD
negligent for leaving a drain uncovered in a crowded
residential area in which a minor boy drowned and asked the
civic body to pay Rs six lakh compensation to the parents of
Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw directed MCD to pay to the
parents of Sagar who died after falling into an open drain on
March 3, 2006, when he was just three years old.
"In the present case, the factum of the deceased having
fallen and having been pulled out from the sewer/drain is not
disputed. Moreover, there is no explanation why the
sewer/drain was left uncovered. Thus, a case of negligence on
the part of the respondent MCD is made out.
"The writ petition is accordingly allowed. MCD is
directed to pay compensation of Rs 6,02,687 with interest of 6
per cent per annum from July 11, 2006, when the petition was
filed, till the date of payment," the court said while
allowing the plea of the victim`s parents.
Through their petition, the parents of the boy had
claimed compensation of Rs 20 lakh from Delhi government and
MCD for the death of Sagar.
They had alleged the government and MCD were negligent in
allowing a drain to remain uncovered in a crowded residential
area where children of all ages would be present.
In its defence, the city government had, in its counter
affidavit, contended it is not liable for the death of the
boy as civic amenities in the area in which the incident had
occurred were being maintained by MCD and the allegation by
the petitioners of negligence is also against MCD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception