Boy shot dead as friend uses real pistol as toy
New Delhi: A 10-year-old boy was accidentally shot dead by his 12-year-old neighbour with a firearm while they were playing cop and thief in west Delhi, police said on Monday.
Chandan, a Class 6 student, was shot dead Saturday night in Raghubir Nagar by his friend, police said.
Chandan`s friend has been sent to an observation home and his father Ram Chander and another person have been arrested, police said.
Police said the children were playing on the ground floor of the building, in which their families lived on rent, when Chandan`s friend picked up a home-made pistol lying in a bag and shot him during the course of their game.
The landlord of the house saw Chandan lying on the ground and informed his family. Chandan`s parents rushed him to hospital.
"The doctors first thought it was a normal head injury but later found bullet marks on the head," said V Renganathan, additional commissioner of police.
It was when Chandan succumbed to his injuries that police were informed and the investigation was launched.
Police said the boy who shot Chandan told his family members about the incident but they destroyed the evidence.
"When Chandan`s family was at the hospital, his friend`s father Ram Chander and his friend Mukesh washed the blood stains and threw away the pistol," said a police officer.
Ram Chander, who hails from Azamgarh, came to Delhi six months ago and was working with a dairy in Rajouri Garden area. "His friend Mukesh had come to his house and the pistol belongs to him. We are checking his previous records," the officer added.
"We have arrested Chander and Mukesh and the boy who fired the bullet has been apprehended and sent to an observation home," Renganathan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla