Breather for Tihar Jail as Mandoli Jail to be ready by Dec
New Delhi: The load of inmates on Tihar Jail will lesson by December this year as the construction work of Mandoli Jail complex in Northeast Delhi nears its completion.
According to a top PWD official, Mandoli Jail, which will have six jails in its complex in an area of 78.62 acres, will have the capacity of housing around 3777 prisoners.
"The construction work of Mandoli Jail will be completed by December this year. It will have six specific sections - for undertrials, convicts, women, high security inmates and the first-time convicts," the official said.
With Mandoli Jail being ready, Tihar Jail, where the inmate load is around thrice its capacity, will have lesser prisoners.
As per data till May 31, 2014, there were 14,048 inmates out of authorised capacity of 6250 inmates in Tihar Jail.
"In Mandoli Jail`s complex, a school is also being constructed for the children of inmates. Besides, 330 quarters for the staff and a hospital are also being constructed there," the official said.
He also added that Mandoli Jail would have an air circulation system in each ward, CCTV cameras, dual water supply system, solar heating and rain water harvesting mechanism.
The Jail will also have administrative blocks, Shopping Centres and Cultural Centre.
The Jail was expected to be ready in 2012, but it had missed the deadline due to procedural difficulties and clearances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof